We thought we should elucidate on the Craft Fair, to avoid any misunderstandings and hope that you find this information informative. We would welcome a closer working relationship with the traders which is beneficial for all concerned.
- The Craft Fair’s objective is to raise funds to be distributed to Local good causes which the community benefits from. which has included Burnham Market Primary School, Burnham Market Nursery, Heritage House, BMCCS, Contributions to the PC’s towards play equipment in Burnham Market, Burnham Overy Staithe and Burnham Thorpe, The Scouts, Bowls Clubs, Community Nurses and Equipment at the Doctors surgery. A schedule of the payments for 2017, 2017 and 2019 is listed below.
The event is historically well attended bringing into Burnham Market of up to an estimated total of 4,000 footfall estimating up to a peak of 600 people at a time browsing the stalls.
- Linda and Lucinda are 100% volunteers with their time organising and administering the event which is a 12 month task.
- The only expenses which are minimal, taken out of the raised revenue, are direct costs necessary required to hold, organise and run the event. i.e. portable toilet hire, insurance, first aid, road closure application fee, punch and judy
- History – When the last organisers of 11 years, a committee of 8 in total (Former Chairman of BM parish Council Geof Hanley, and Bob Lamont) stepped down despite all their efforts in finding replacements, there was no one interested in taking over which would have been the end of the annual event which was in it’s 43rd year.
At the last moment Linda Craig formerly of Burnham Market, presently of Burnham Overy stepped up to volunteer. Lucinda does not live locally but she has produced The Burnhams Newsletter since 2013. Lucinda’s offer to volunteer (if they couldn’t get their team filled with locals and only if it was the only option for keeping the event going) was taken up by Bob and Geof. Which resulted in a 2 person committee taking over the roles of a previous 8 person committee
Linda and Lucinda are selflessly focussed on continuing to preserve the tradition and success of such a well-known, well attended and enjoyed event that benefits the chosen local good causes and communities through the donations distributed from the BMCF.
Laurence Rubin remained Treasurer up until 2020 when he stepped down for health reasons. Linda Craig is an accountant, so she has taken over as Treasurer.
The event management plan and event risk assessment is approved by BCKLWN, The BMCF takes out event insurance and all stallholders must supply proof of relevant insurances for the event.
Further local volunteers are involved in the selection committee process as well as with site preparation just before event and various roles throughout the event day.
- Part of the Event Management Plan which is approved by KLWNBC is to have available extra car parking to accommodate the estimated footfall. The Parish Council historically agree to open up the Playing field for car parking and run the car park on the day which also accommodates the stallholders vehicles. The Parish Council directly benefits from the revenue from the charges to visitors for parking which for 2019 was £3 per car which raised well in excess of £2,000. We have in previous years been in a position to offer parking spaces to 20 stallholders in the grounds of Westgate Hall. As the Hall has now been sold we will approach the new owners but cannot guarantee that they will continue to allow this.
Awards to local Good Causes – past 3 years. As you can see year on year, since Lucinda and Linda took on the responsibility for organising the Craft Fair, the awards have increased
Awards to Local Causes
Burnham Market Community Nurses
Burnham Market Nursery School
Burnham Market Primary School
Burnham Market Tennis Club
Burnham Overy Staithe Playground
Burnham Thorpe Bowls Club
Burnham Thorpe Junior Table Tennis Club
Burnham Thorpe Playground
Community Car Scheme
Coronation Bowls Club
E A Martial Arts Club
Nelson Rural Scout Group
Parish Council Playground
Rescue Wooden Boats
St Marys Church
The Burnham Market Craft Fair
Mobile: 07771 705 001